Saturday 6 December 2014

ROCK LICKS JAMES RUNDLE




Hi guys...I searched...I chose...I now feature James Rundle and Rock Licks.

Well let's face it, if you want to learn to play an instrument, in this case guitar, an Internet search can throw up a wealth of sites, and wading through them until you hit gold can be a time consuming endeavor. 

That's where  http://www.rock-licks.com comes in.

Now I'm a musician and I've been around musicians all my life and one thing i do know for sure is that beginners want clear, practical information, and workable methods to improve technique and understanding from the very beginning. 

If you're a more experienced guitarist you'll also find a great archive of material at  http://www.rock-licks.com to help you add quickly to your repertoire.

James focuses primarily on Queen songs but there's a good array of other  bands too.

I decided to contact James to find out about the man behind the site, and his continuing dedication to helping guitarists everywhere.

MARC : WHEN DID YOU START THE CHANNEL?

JAMES : The YouTube channel started off just as a generic channel with a few videos of me playilng guitar just to put on my guitar tuition website www.rock-licks.com to prove I could play guitar.
A year or two ago I had a guitar student who couldn’t make his lesson. He asked me to make a video lesson for him. After uploading it I got a lot of views and people thanking me for the lesson.
So I did a few more lessons on YouTube with very little success.

MARC : WHAT MOTIVATED YOU TO START THE CHANNEL?

JAMES : Just over a year ago as an almost online notebook I decided to do video lessons for Queen Song’s. The process of learning the song and recording the lesson was helping my own learning.
The response was immense and subscribers were asking for more. So I decided to set myself the challenge of covering all Queen songs.
Queen guitar tablature is very difficult to get and the books that were released are all out of print. Hopefully the channel is giving people an opportunity to play some of the rarer Queen tracks too.

MARC : WHAT PLANS DO YOU HAVE FOR THE FUTURE OF YOUR CHANNEL?

JAMES : Never am I 100% pleased with my videos so I’m hoping to redo some of them as well as completing all the Queen back catalogue.
Next year I hoping to do a series of children’s guitar lesson with Queen being the central theme.

MARC : WHAT MAKES YOUR CHANNEL DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE OTHER SIMILAR CHANNELS ONLINE?

JAMES : Hopefully my videos make playing Queen Songs attainable to the beginner or intermediate guitarist.
Many videos on YouTube seem aimed at the more advanced guitarist and the beginner wouldn’t be able to follow them at all.
Being dyslexic I understand the difficulty some have when learning. The videos are set out in an almost step by step layout. I wanted to create the atmosphere of the person learning it with me. No one will learn anything if the video is just me playing it perfectly a hand full of times.
Many Queen Songs are in keys written on piano so I’ve changed the key to allow an easier way of strumming songs on acoustic guitar for the beginner.

MARC : WHAT'STHE MOST SATISFYING THING ABOUT WHAT YOU DO ONLINE ?

JAMES : This year I’ve had a video featured on brianmay.com and even got a mention on Russell Brand’s YouTube channel which was really exciting.
But the most rewarding thing is teenagers thanking me for videos that have enabled them to play their favourite Queen songs. The fact that musicians in Queen Tribute bands have found my videos useful gives me a big buzz.

MARC : YOU'RE A MUSICIAN ....ANY PLANS FOR ORIGINAL MUSIC OTHER THAN THE SOUNDTRACKS TO YOUR
VIDS ?

JAMES : I’ll definitely be doing some original material. Which is really what I started off doing originally years ago. Being a Brian May wannabe is something I’m not I just love playing Queen stuff.
Getting original music listened to is quite difficult so I decided to use some of my tunes on my videos

Musically my influences Deep Purple, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Metallica, Hendrix, The Beatles, Rolling Stones as well as little known guitarists like Jason Becker and Marty Friedman

----------------

So there you have it....and if YOU want to bypass frustration and get straight to the heart of good practical, enjoyable learning for guitar...visit http://www.rock-licks.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment